Let’s take Manly Flowers one step further today. If you’re still of the mindset that dropping $5 on some blooms is a total waste of money (really?), here’s another way to give the appearance that you’ve got your life together. Add some class and some green to your apartment by rooting a succulent – for free!
Succulents are extremely robust little plants. So much so, in fact, that you can plant small clippings and easily root them to make more little baby plants.
Step up your apartment game in a few easy steps:
- Scope out your neighborhood for some succulents. Avoid inciting a neighbor riot by finding plants that are in public areas – or at least ask before snipping.
- Remove a small “branch” from the succulent. You can usually just snap them off.
- Mix an equal amount potting soil / sand in the vessel of your choice. This just means you need dirt and rocks / sand. The key here is to make sure the soil is well irrigated. Without enough drainage, the succulent will get water logged and stinky.
- Stick your finger into the dirt to make a little hole and pop your succulent into its new home!
- Only water when the soil has become dry. Again, these little guys don’t like sitting in damp soil for too long.
There you have it! You now have a Pinterest-worthy, very adult living thing to proudly display on your coffee table.
PS – Don’t let my picture mislead you. I made it look all purdy for the photo but make sure you use half dirt / half sand when planting. My rock and water option isn’t best when rooting a succulent.