I am going to let you guys in on one of my all-time favorite quick-fix dinners. This one is so super easy –
I call it the Gaucho Steak Salad because its star ingredient is flank steak – and I used to order something similar at a restaurant called Gaucho Grill before it closed shop in my neighborhood. RIP Gaucho Grill.
Flank steak is super affordable and it’s actually an awesome cut of meat – super thin, tender, and flavorful without being fatty.
1. In a large bowl, combine about 3 tablespoons of garlic paste (usually found in handy little tubes in the fresh produce section), 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. This is your marinade and this is where the magic happens. Add your flank steak to this mixture and give it a little massage to work the flavor into the meat.
2. Set that aside while you check Instagram, send a Snapchat, and otherwise zone out for 15 minutes.
3. Okay now add a little olive oil to a large pan and get some good heat going. Sear the meat (sealing in the juices) and cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Keep an eye on it, though, because it’s a thin cut of meat so it’ll cook up fast.
4. Set aside the steak for at least 5-10 minutes. Don’t cut into it yet. You want the juices to settle so cutting the meat before it’s cool will waste all that flavor.
5. The salad part is easy – toss in your favorites (I do grape tomatoes, avocado, parmesan, and romaine, with a light caesar dressing).
Now slice up that steak and have at it!
You can also use this steak in a bomb steak sandwich or even just with some sides. It’s so good and so easy!
PS – My salads at home do not look like this. I chop everything up and toss it in a big bowl. But that wouldn’t have been as pretty :)