Alright we’re well into my week-long gift guide countdown to Father’s Day and since tomorrow is the big day, I give you an option that is thoughtful, unique, and doesn’t even require overnight shipping!
If “stuff” isn’t all that important to your pops, give him an experience instead – namely, cook the big guy an awesome dinner to share good eats and conversation with your family and friends!
Chili Recipe feat. Sapporo
Olive Oil (enough to coat the bottom of a large sauté pan)
1/4 cup of Minced Garlic
1 lb of ground turkey 85/15 (or other ground meat of your choosing. You can also combo other meats also like pulled chicken, ground beef, ground pork, etc.)
1/8 cup of granulated garlic
1/8 cup of granulated onion
1/8 cup of paprika
1/8 cup of ground cumin
A pinch of Italian seasoning
A pinch of ground coriander
A pinch of smoked sea salt
A pinch of ground pepper
2 16 oz cans of organic vegetarian chili (if you cannot find organic canned veggie chili, a nonorganic one is fine also.
Note: if you prefer and have time, you can use dried beans
1 16 oz can of cannellini beans (rinse and drain)
1/2 of a 28oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1/2 cup of homemade or jarred tomato sauce of your choosing
1/4 cup of BBQ sauce (homemade or brand of your choosing)
1/4 cup of Heinz ketchup
1/2 of a 12 oz bottle/ or 1/2 of a 16 oz can of Sapporo Premium
1. Cover bottom of large sauté pan with olive oil and add minced garlic
2. Season ground meat with a pinches of granulated garlic, onion and chili powder and salt and pepper
3. Brown ground meat in large pan with heat turned up about half way so to not burn meat and spice mixture
4. Once meat is browned, transfer to slow cooker
5. Add canned chili or soaked beans, rest of all spices, sauces, pastes, beer and stir in crock pot to blend all ingredients together
6. Set cooker to low and timer to 8 hours. After 8 hours, cooker will switch to warm if you are not serving right away
7. Make sure to stir every hour or so, so chili doesn’t stick and tomato based products don’t burn
8. Feel free to top with chopped up cooked bacon, fried onions, shredded cheese, sour cream, scallions or anything you like
9. Serve with crackers and ice cold Sapporo!
PS – Catch up on previous gift ideas!
Countdown to Father’s Day: Gift Guide pt. 1
Countdown to Father’s Day: Gift Guide pt. 2
Countdown to Father’s Day: Gift Guide pt. 3
Countdown to Father’s Day: Gift Guide pt. 4
Countdown to Father’s Day: Gift Guide pt. 5
Countdown to Father’s Day: Gift Guide pt. 6